I am pretty sure we all struggle (yes, I include myself here) to build a big list of newsletter subscribers. No matter how many subscribers you have, you will always want more.
Even though you offer a great incentive (I am giving away a 150 page book teaching you how to become a rockin’ affiliate), it still doesn’t mean you are going to get that e-mail.
Why is it so hard to build an e-mail list?
Because people are sick and tired of receiving all the hard selling e-mails from those old school affiliate marketers and are now guarding their e-mails better than ever.
However, as long as people are reading your blog and trust you, you can get them to subscribe. All you need to do is keep reminding them until they do! Here is one of the ways I remind people to sign up for my newsletter.
This is what you see if you scroll down, to the bottom of a post on this blog and look at the comment area:
List building the simple way
I know this will look way too easy, but that is exactly the point. These are the settings I had to go through to set the comment opt-in form (took me about 30 seconds):
Now every time someone comments on this blog, unless he/she unchecks the box, they will be added to my list.
Well, fortunately, not automatically (which is a good thing, because you don’t want to be marked as spammer). The commenters still have to confirm the subscription – which brings me to the most important part of this list building strategy.
You know you can not just add people to your list without them agreeing to it, right?
Here are the reasons I see this as a great list building strategy:
- The checkbox is visible, not hidden, and it tells you exactly what it does (subscribes you to my newsletter).
- Even if you miss unchecking it because you are “checkbox blind”, but you don’t want to receive my newsletter, you are still not added to my list.
- What will happen? You will receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your e-mail to be added to my list.
- If you don’t confirm it – no harm done. You won’t be added to a list involuntarily.
- If you do confirm it – you are added to my list, you got the great incentive I send you and you keep receiving e-mails from me.
- The most important – I reminded you to subscribe and the strategy worked!
Why WPSubscribers and not some other list building plugin?
As far as the comment opt-in part of the plugin goes (and it has many, many more options) I know there are others that have the same stuff.
However, one of the plugins I looked at (with only comment opt-in and a pop up) costs as much as the whole WPSubscribers.
But here is what you will get with WP Subscribers:
- pop ups
- header opt-ins
- footer opt-ins (you can see it on this blog)
- sidebar opt-ins
- in post opt-ins
- exit pop ups
- Facebook integration (you can see it in the footer opt-in on this blog)
- comment opt-in
- Where-ever-you-can-imagine-one opt-in
- referral program
Note: if you are subscribed already, you can not see the footer. So here is a screenshot of what people who aren’t subscribed see (this is my styling, you can create the form to look any way you want):
As you can see, I believe in this plugin so much that it is the only ad I have in the blog header. I am that confident in guaranteeing for it.
Important note: If you are using Livefyre, you will not be able to use this comment opt-in feature. At least not for now
Are you using this plugin already? If not and you are considering purchasing it, I will not be mad if you do it through my affiliate links.